Search This Blog

Monday, July 27, 2015

Another Shirt Refashion

I finished up classes for the summer this past thursday, and have therefore been enjoying a little sewing time :)
I still have a couple blouses that I haven't refashioned yet, so I decided to work on one of those this weekend.
It started out as this crimson silk blouse. It was nice, but simply too boxy for me. Besides, I'm not too wild about the whole double collar thing going on…must have been in style when my mom bought the shirt...So I went to work altering it to make another peplum topsince I love wearing the first one I made so much. 


Again, I cut off the collar and ripped off the sleeves. I switched the buttons to the back, cut the shirt so the seam would hit at the narrowest part of my waist, and gathered the leftover bottom portion to form the "skirt". Then I cut bias strips from one of the sleeves…no mean feat when working with slinky, slippery silk that doesn't like to do what you tell it to do. But I finally managed to get enough strips to sew together for the neck and armhole bindings. The silk made binding even more fiddly than it already is, so there are a few spots where the binding doesn't want to lay flat. Otherwise, I am quite pleased with the results :)

I tried it on and thought that it could use some pizzaz. I like to wear the other top with a narrow dark blue belt at the waist, so I thought I could do something similar with this one. I had some off-white cotton lace in one of my drawers so I tacked it down at the waist to simulate a belt. I sewed a snap at the center top edge and a hook and bar at the waist. I now have another cute and versatile shirt!

No comments:

Post a Comment