Search This Blog

Thursday, May 7, 2015

Sewing Galore: Button-front Shirt Refashion #1

I have been sewing a good bit since I got done with finals on Friday. I suppose I'll start with the first thing I sewed this week.
A while back, my mom gave me some button up shirts that she never really wore, and they have been sitting in my closet staring at me ever since. Most of them are/ were too big and boxy for my slender frame, although I found one I like to wear under one of my vests... But I digress. Long story short, I decided to refashion some of the shirts into something I would actually wear.

For my first shirt refashion, I took a white- and pink-striped shirt and turned it into a cute peplum top. (I looked at Pinterest for inspiration) I measured from my shoulder to the narrowest part of my waist and cut the shirt body at that measurement. I removed the sleeves and cut off the collar, tracing the neck and shoulders of a tank top to get the shape I wanted. I decided I wanted the buttons in the back. Since the shirt was much too big, I took in the side seams to a comfortable level and fitted the bodice the rest of the way using darts. Once I had the top portion fitted to my liking, I took the bottom part of the shirt which I had previously cut off and removed the remaining button placket. I sewed it together to make a tube, gathered the top, and sewed it back on to the upper portion in the position it would have been in originally, if that makes sense. (The hem curves down more in the back, so I kept that part in the back even though I turned the upper portion around.) I used a button placket from one of the sleeves to extend the back placket to a length where I can easily slip the top over my head. The sleeves provided more than enough bias strips to finish the armholes and neckline. The finishing touch was a snap at the top edge to hold everything together. I couldn't get it back on my dressform to take pictures because her shoulders don't collapse, so I had to make due with hanger pictures.
The back

The front

No comments:

Post a Comment