Search This Blog

Sunday, May 31, 2015

Late 1830's Underpinnings

I made this beautiful corded stays/corset to wear under my 1837 day Dress, but it honestly doesn't work the way I hoped it would. Because there isn't any boning (except for one bone on either side of the back opening and the busk in front) the petticoats and skirt cut into my waist…not comfortable. To top things off, I modified the bust darts (thinking they would be too large) to the point that they gave me a strange shape. You can see that I tried to remedy that by adding additional fabric to the bust gussets. Honestly, I am frustrated with these stays to no end. I like them (and spent quite a lot of time cording them) but I just can't wear them in the way I had imagined. 
Front view

Side view, and a closeup of the cording

Back view. It's also a pain to get into because the lacing is in the back and there is no separating busk

Here is my corded petticoat. It works just as well as I hoped it would, thankfully. I made it out of some wide muslin I had leftover from some other project. The cording is some very thick hemp twine.

Here is the corded petticoat with my two other petticoats over the top. I made these petticoats for my civil war dress originally, but with one modification to make them one length all around, they work just as well for an earlier period. They are made out of some old sheets… the top one is cream colored while the one underneath is made from some red satin sheets. The red one probably isn't very accurate, but it does its job and that's all that matters.


No comments:

Post a Comment