Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Two Federalist Era Dresses

I've made two dresses from the Federalist Era, as it was known here in the United States. The pattern I used is Past Pattern's Circa 1796-1806 Lewis & Clark Era Front Closing Gown. I modified the pattern for the second dress to make it an "apron front" closing gown.



 I made this dress out of cotton lawn. I dyed it using indigo, although I have never really been satisfied with the way it turned out. The dye took unevenly, even after I tried dying it a second time.

The back of the skirt is particularly splotchy

I love the way the back is constructed.

The dress closes in the front with two drawstrings, one at the top and one below the bust. The lining gets pinned closed when worn.
I sewed the bodice of the dress by hand and the skirt with my machine.

This dress is made of cotton voile. I sewed it entirely using my machine.


I sewed tucks at the bottom of the skirt and sleeves to add a bit of interest.

Like the first gown, the lining is pinned closed when worn.

However, an "apron"comes up to finish the front. Twill tape is attached to the corners of this apron. The tape goes around the back and back around to the front to be tied in a bow underneath the upper portion of the apron. 

The apron then hooks on to two little thread eyes on the dress front

See? It's a clever design for a front closing dress that makes it very easy to get in and out.

1 comment:

  1. They look like originals! wow :) I love the back seams too. I've never tried dying things with indigo, but I've used Rit dye on multiple ocasions (I think I spelled that wrong oops), with great results.
    ~Theresa

    ReplyDelete