Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Edwardian Skirt

I finally received the fabric I ordered to make my 1905 circular skirt. It's such a pretty shade of purple! I decided to bite the bullet and go with a color other than black, brown or gray. It's a mid weight, subtly striped twill described on the website I ordered from as "Mulberry". I do think it could be mulberry-colored, but it reminds me more of a slightly underripe blueberry! It's a rich, beautiful shade of purple no matter what it's named.
See? Isn't it such a pretty color? It's a bit darker in real life




The skirt is made of two huge pieces cut on the bias.  I usually have to resort to cutting out patterns on the floor of our dining room. Disregard my random pattern weights, I had to make do with air rifle pellet tins and tile coasters.



Swoop goes the train :) it's so pretty. I'm debating whether I should Include the hem stiffener the pattern calls for. The twill has a decent weight to it, but still drapes beautifully.

Front view. I think my dress form is a tiny bit shorter than I am, causing the skirt to "puddle" on the ground. When I tried the skirt on last night, it was the perfect length.

The back view. I love the slightly sweeping train. Unfortunately, I cut a size larger than I probably should have. My waist measurement over the corset and such is about 27 inches, so I figured I would cut the 28 inch waist size just to be safe. The weigh of the skirt itself and the slight stretch present in the twill fabric paired with this slightly too-large waistband make it droop unbecomingly in the back. So I'll have to do some creative resizing to make it fit right. I have not hemmed the bottom yet in this picture.


No comments:

Post a Comment