Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Ruffles…ruffles everywhere!

Holy ruffles, Batman!
I (mostly) finished the petticoat for my edwardian ensemble this weekend. All it needs are a couple hooks and eyes for the waistband. I'm debating whether or not I should put a few more hooks and eyes down the back placket, since it seems to gap open a bit strangely. I think it pulls funny because I didn't quite factor in the fluffiness of my drawers when I chose the size I wanted to make…
Nonetheless, I can make it work :) Besides, I'm the only one who will ever see my petticoat, right? ;)
Oh, and I know I promised pictures of my blouse too.

Edit: I decided to use snaps to close the waistband. Snaps were invented in 1885, and were widely in use by the 1900's. I used two snaps at the waist and one to help hold the placket together lower down.



The petticoat from the back. You can see the strange pulling of the placket. Also, I cheated a little bit and used my serger to finish the edges and gather the ruffles. But I think the serged edges look nice, since I used one pink thread for a bit of interest. It makes up for the yards and yards of lace I decided not to use. 
So much ruffles!

From the front. I think my dress form is a bit lopsided haha

The petticoat trains just a slight bit in the back, so I swept it forward quite romantically.

Here is a closeup of the waist tape that helps hold the blouse in place when it is being worn. All it does is keep the gathers in place and prevent the blouse from riding up above the skirt.
A closeup of some of the tucks on the sleeves. The blouse is made of a very thin, soft, sheer cotton voile. The collar and cuffs are made from some lace I had on hand.

The back of the blouse. It closes with several buttons. I can just barely get into by myself, since I don't have the luxury of a lady's maid :p

The front. I tamed the puffiness at the front as much as I could. On my slender frame, if I had made it as puffy as it was supposed to be, I would look absolutely ridiculous :p It might be hard to see, but the tucks on the front almost form a yoke to fit the fabric to the upper chest and shoulders.  

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely job you did on your tucked blouse! I love how sheer the voile is...weren't those tucks time consuming? But oh so very worth it!
    Blessings!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Yes, the work was very worth it in the end! The results are beautiful.

      Delete