Search This Blog

Thursday, June 11, 2015

Civil War Era Skirt and Two Bodices

I made this ensemble versatile for both day wear and more fancy wear. I need to update the fit for both bodices, but the day bodice especially. The skirt is box pleated and lined about halfway up.
*Update* I can wear this ensemble again thanks to my new corset, which, although not period correct, will reduce my waist down to the measurements I had used to make these pieces originally... in a much more comfortable manner…If lacing down to approximately 24 inches is ever truly comfortable.
As you can see, this bodice has quite a small waist…I was still under the impression even when I made this set not more than 3 years ago that I should make my waist as tiny as possible. If I had a more comfortable corset I might be able to wear this set again, but with my current corset for this era, I can't.

The ball gown bodice is a bit more forgiving in the sense that it laces up the back. I stole the lace to use on something else, I think, so I have the bodice pinned to the form for this picture. It looks lovely when I wear it because of the off the shoulder neckline.

No comments:

Post a Comment